The sleeping bag fillings advantages and disadvantages
Pros cons Synthetic fiber / synthetic fiber
- The advantage of modern synthetic insulation materials in the sleeping bag are the following:
- Low maintenance – Robust – insulation even when wet
- cheaper – easier washable (does not apply to any filling)
- Most higher weight – lower weight with higher insulation
- (However, this is now so low that should almost not drop it in the focus)
Natural pros cons insulation materials / DOWN
Let’s talk about the natural insulation methods / fillings in sleeping bags.
That would be :
DOWN duck and goose down
The only advantage is the down for me is the weight to Isolationsfähigkeit. Light at High insulation
- Isolation can with the years after Quick – instant when wet insulation loss
- No animal proper handling – Partly not even understand where the down comes
All the benefits So in the synthetic fiber !!!
and now let’s face it who now uses down should participate already in an expedition that has it or spend more like 150 days in the sleeping bag. In my opinion man and woman should be able to cope with that extra weight and volume when I put myself in this situation where I need it. Today, the differences are down to synthetic fibers in 100gr – 500gr area, ie rather even let water more often and for that renounce down Because when UL (ultra light) to cost of living things is it is without exclusions UNFAIR!
Here are the links to the explanations of the respective manufacturer of the best known and easiest synthetic – synthetic fibers:
eraLoft™ ( Firma: ThermaRest ) http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/about/technology